Exchange Legislation Set for Hearing
|June 21, 2010||Posted by ITUP under Blog||
In addition to tackling the High Risk Pool and 1115 Hospital Waiver, policy makers in Sacramento are also hard at work on legislation that will establish the framework for the California Health Insurance Exchange.
At or before both hearings, amended language for each bill will be presented. Among others topics, the bills will likely address:
• The general structure and governance of the Exchange;
• Whether the Exchange will be a public agency, a semi-government entity, or a separate, non-profit organization;
• How the individual and small business markets will operate within the Exchange; and
• To what extent health plans — including local initiatives and county-organized health systems — will participate in the Exchange.
Here are additional sources of information on the Exchange:
• ITUP’s initial analysis and recommendations, April 19, 2010
• Legislative Analysts Office report, May 13, 2010
• Congressional Research Service report, April 15, 2010
• Kaiser Family Foundation brief, April, 28, 2010